Happy Independence day India! India celebrated its independence from the British Empire on the 15th of August in 1947. The holiday is observed throughout India with flag-hoisting ceremonies, parades and cultural events. There is a national holiday and schools and government offices distribute sweets but no official work is done….parrtayyy!!!
India is a country of “Unity in Diversity” where people from different religions live; however any national occasion, they celebrate it together!
Here are some quick, interesting, fun facts about our colorful, diverse nation:
- First Independence day of India was celebrated in 1947, 15th of August by hoisting tri-colored flag.
- India has never attacked any other country in the last 100000 years of history.
- There was no any National Anthem during the time of Independence of India.
- India is the world’s largest Democracy, with 1.2 billion people.
- Police in one non-identified state in India get a slight pay upgrade for having a moustache……………………………..
- India has the world’s lowest meat consumption per person.
- Hinduism is one of the oldest religions in the world. It was developed about 5000 years ago. Hinduism is a colorful religion with a lot of rituals. People who follow this religion believe in a lot of Gods and Goddesses.
- 70% of all the world’s spices come from India.
- One woman dies every hour in India because of dowry-related crimes.
- In India, there is a vigilante group called the “Love Commandos” that offers protection from harassment to couples from different castes who fall in love.
- There is a gypsy tribe in India that celebrates death as one of the happiest events in their lives, while treating births with great grief.
- The Golden Temple in Amritsar feeds a vegetarian meal to over 100,000 people a day regardless of race, religion and class.
- Global warming ‘solved’ a land dispute between India and Bangladesh:
the island in dispute disappeared.
- 74% of young Indians prefer an arranged marriage over a free-choice one, a 2013 survey found.
- Only about 1 in 100 marriages in India end in divorce, one of the lowest rates in the world.
- India has more people using the internet than the entire population of the U.S.
- The people of North Sentinel Island, India, are among the last people to remain
virtually untouched by modern civilization.
- There’s an experimental township in India founded in 1968 and called Auroville, where citizens are from all over the world and there’s no money or religion.
- The first Bollywood movie was released in 1899, where as the first Hollywood movie released in 1907. Bollywood is older than Hollywood!
Well folks, there you have it! Have a safe, wonderful pandarah (15) August 🙂
What India do we have without the KING of Bollywood himself – Mr. Shah Rukh Khan!!!
Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus bus terminal in Mumbai lit up gloriously!!!